Dark Chocolate Orange Cake
I made up this recipe and was so relieved and quite impressed with the way it turned out. The texture of the cake is really light but the Lindt ganache and vanilla ice cream make it really rich so one slice is just enough. The best part is the burst of flavour offered by the fresh orange juice!
- 1 ¼ cup cake flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of himalayan pink salt
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange rind
- Sift dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients and add to dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Line a 21cm diameter baking pan with baking paper.
- Pour batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Place a tray filled with water in the oven set at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes and then allow to cool completely before topping with ganache.
- Ganache: Melt 1/2 cup Lindt dark chocolate covertures and then remove from the heat. Gradually add 1/2 cup of cream and mix until smooth. Spread on top of the cake before serving with creamy vanilla ice cream.