Sweetcorn lagan (mielie cake)
A quick, savoury snack that takes just a few minutes to put together. I made two trays out of this recipe and it didn’t last very long! ;)
- 1 tin (410g) creamstyle sweetcorn
- ¾ cup milk + 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 1 medium sized onion, grated
- 2 Tbsp chopped fenugreek leaves (methi bhajhi)
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves (dhania)
- Himalayan rock salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tsp crushed ginger
- ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed green chilli
- 1 cup gram flour (chickpea/chana flour)
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ cup mealie meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Combine all of the ingredients in the order it appears above.
- Grease an ovenproof baking tray or muffin tray and pour the mixture in.
- Sprinkle a mix of seeds on the top.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.