Pumpkin chai muffins
We got a fresh pumpkin delivered to our door by the local farmer and while searching for recipes, I came across one by food blogger, Kimberly, from The Little Plantation. I made just a few modifications, which I share below.
- 220ml pumpkin pureé
- 125ml coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp flax seed powder + 6 Tbsp water
- 225ml full cream milk + 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 300ml plain flour
- 220ml dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Steam pumpkin for 20 minutes or until soft and then allow to cool down. Once cooled down, remove skins and mash with a fork to form a pureé.
- While the pumpkin is steaming, you can measure out the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Once the pumpkin is ready, mix the pureé with coconut oil. Mix flax seed powder with water and add to pumpkin mixture. Warm milk slightly to get the chill off if it’s from the fridge and then add vinegar and mix well. Add this to the pumpkin mixture. I warm the milk so that when added to the coconut oil, it doesn’t solidify, which makes it easier to mix.
- Now make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add in the mixture of wet ingredients. Mix with a hand mixer. Do not over-mix.
- Pour into a greased muffin tray or loaf tins.
- Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
Link to original recipe: http://thelittleplantation.co.uk/blog/vegan-pumpkin-muffins.