This bake is loaded with great flavours brought out by each of the vegetables and spices, while complementing the ultimate comfort food – creamy potatoes and cheese! Enjoy this simple recipe :)
- 5 medium sized soft-cooking potatoes
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 punnet mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup sweetcorn
- 1 cup assorted peppers – green, yellow & red, deseeded and sliced
- 2 Tbsp plain white flour
- 4 Tbsp plain butter
- 2 cups full cream milk
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Black pepper
- White pepper
- Herbamare herb salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Mixed herbs
- Gouda cheese, grated
- Steam potatoes for 30 minutes and allow to cool down until cool enough to hold.
- While potatoes are cooling down, heat a non-stick frying pan with about 2 Tbsp of butter. Add onions and allow to brown. Then add mushrooms and cook until most of the water is released from the mushrooms and liquid has evaporated. Then add sweetcorn and mix. Add pink salt, black pepper, herb salt, paprika, cayenne pepper and mixed herbs. Lastly, add the peppers and toss gently. Cook for 2 more minutes and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Peel and then slice the potatoes into thin slices. Layer the potatoes in a casserole dish. Add the cooked veggies on top of the potatoes.
- To make the white sauce, melt 2 Tbsp butter in a saucepan (or you can use the same frying pan you used to fry the veggies – makes less dishes to wash up!). Mix the flour and a ¼ cup of milk in a small bowl till all the flour is dissolved. Gradually add the rest of the milk to the bowl, while constantly mixing to make sure that the mixture remains smooth. Add this to the butter in the saucepan and use a whisk to stir. Add pink salt and white pepper to taste. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and vegetables.
- Top the entire bake with grated cheese. Cover with foil and bake in the oven set at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and set the oven on grill function. Grill for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is golden-brown.